Monday, July 13, 2015

Pakora kadhi with dill ; Meatless Monday



I often come across tantalizing pictures of pakora kadhi with rice in the various food groups. It looks so comforting. True Indian soul food. But I have never made it, until now. You see it is not something that is part of the South Indian Cuisine. It is an integral part of the North Indian Cuisine. I think for some reason I had a mental block when it came to making kadhi. Until now. Now, I wonder why I never made it before!!! Me who loves to try several cuisines, why didn't I attempt to make this dish before?? Well, I don't know.




Kadhi is basically a sauce/a gravy that is made by mixing together chick pea flour and yogurt , tempering it with spices and then cooking it. It is usually meant to be eaten with rice. When some kind of fritter is added to it,it is then called pakora kadhi. Something like the dumpling soup but without white flour . The impetus for my making kadhi was my blogger friend , Swati's post. I saw her post and I knew I had to make it. I made just a little bit, enough for 3-4 people. I had some cauliflower leaf fritters that I had made the previous night. I decided to use them in the kadhi. During my recent grocery shopping, I had picked up a bunch of dill. Upon my quest for newer recipes that use dill, I learnt that dill could be used in kadhi. I decided to try that too.. And dropped in some dill sprigs in there. It sure made the kadhi very flavorful.  Over all the kadhi was finger-lickingly delicious! I would definitely make this again as it is simple, easy and relatively quick to make. It definitely comfort food when served with piping hot rice.


Servings: 3-4 people


Ingredients:


Yogurt: 1 cup
Besan ( Chickpea flour): 2 tbsp
Haldi( turmeric powder): 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder: 1/4 tsp
Dill leaves: 1 cup
Salt: to taste
Water: 4 cups


For tempering:
Cooking oil: 1 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
Jeera( cumin seeds): 1/2 tsp
Methi seeds( fenugreek): 2 seeds
Hing( asofoetida): a pinch
Curry leaves: 1 sprig
Whole dried red chilli: 1-2 nos

Method:


Add the yogurt, besan ( chickpea flour), chilli powder and haldi to a bowl. Mix together in such a manner that there are no lumps. 
Now add the water and mix well using a hand-held whisk.

In a thick- bottomed pot, heat oil. Once the oil is hot enough, add mustard seeds. 

Once the mustard seeds splutter, add cumin seeds, methi seeds, curry leaves and dried red chillies.

Reduce the flame to very low and add asofoetida powder. 

Now add the whisked yogurt-besan mixture to the pot. Cook on low flame until it just about starts bubbling, stirring constantly . Do not increase the flame. It might curdle the mixture. 

Now add salt, the pakoras and the dill leaves and continue to cook on low-medium flame for 10mins, stirring in-between until the kadhi thickens slightly.




Serve hot with rice.


Cooking made easy:


This kadhi can be made without the addition of any pakoras or dill leaves and would still be very flavorful. However, if you do decide to use pakoras, any kind would be alright. It is perfect for leftover pakoras or bhajias the next day!

Tip for healthy living:


Brushing your hair 100 strokes once  daily is believed to help grow longer and healthier hair.

Food for thought:


For success, attitude is equally as important as ability. Unknown


No comments:

Post a Comment