Monday, December 15, 2014

Squid Chilli; Meatless Monday





Today when I went to the fish market, and saw squid, I felt like getting it and making it. I have not made squid in a long long long while! Why??? Mainly because nobody else but me eats it at home. I am loathe to make something for me alone... unless I develop a sudden yearning for the same! This evening was one of those evenings when I felt like eating squid! I decided to bring it home, make mushroom chilli for my husband and squid chilli for me!! The other reason that I don't bring it is because I am not entirely sure that I know how to cook it!!! Funny?? Well, previously mine didn't turn out soft and melt-in-the mouth types that they serve at the restaurants! Mine was more like.. well .. rubber! Hence the apprehension!! I decided to give it another try.. And I am glad that I did!! The squid chilli was not only delicious, it restored my faith back in my  ability to cook it!! Yay!! It was soft, succulent, melt in the mouth.. Just purrfect! Mmmm..



Servings: 2


Ingredients:


Squid: 1 large
Onions: 1 medium,  diced medium
Garlic: 4 cloves,cut julienne
Ginger: 1 inch, cut julienne
Green chilli:3,chopped fine
Bell pepper:1 large,diced medium( can use any color)
Soy sauce:2tbsp
Oyster sauce: 1 tbsp
 Vinegar: 1 tbsp
Corn flour/ corn starch:1 tbsp
Spring onions: 2,chopped fine
Sesame Oil:2 tbsp
Sugar: pinch
Salt: to taste


Method:


Clean the squid, cut it into 1 inch length strips, marinate with 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce, 1 tbsp soy sauce and keep aside for 10-15 mins.

Mix  corn starch with 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce and 1 tbsp soy sauce and keep aside.



Heat a wok on high heat,add oil. When oil  is hot, add garlic , then ginger. 

Sauté for 30 secs, then add chopped onions, sauté for 2 mins. 

Now add green chillies, bell pepper and then the squid. Saute for 2 minutes,

Now add salt, sugar and the cornstarch-sauce mixture and mix well. Let it cook for another 2-3mins. 

Add vinegar and mix well.






Garnish with chopped spring onions.



Serve hot with jasmine rice!

Cooking made easy:


The trick to cooking squid is to cook it for just 2-3 mins until it is just cooked/ tender.You can see the color change. Overcooking squid makes it rubbery and difficult to eat. Even when you reheat any squid dish, make sure you don't overheat it.

Tip for healthy living:


Smooth shiny silky hair can be achieved by regularly applying aloe Vera sap. Keep the sap on for 30 mins and then rinse it thoroughly.


Food for thought:


A lean compromise is better than a fat lawsuit. George Herbert

No comments:

Post a Comment