Monday, November 24, 2014

Creamy spinach with mushrooms; Meatless Monday & Thanksgiving Special!



Week nights are hectic. I come home only around 7 p.m. I then cook dinner. Why cook that late? Because I like my family to eat fresh food whenever possible. That is why I like to make simple quick meals. This is another one of those dishes that is simple, quick and easy to make and absolutely delicious. Everyone at home loves it! You can eat it just like that with some bread/toast, eat it as a side with some rice or mix it in with any pasta/noodles of your choice.This would make for a great side for Thanksgiving. You will get some much needed vegetables( fiber too) amidst all the meat that is consumed!I am bringing this to Simple Supper Tuesdays.I am sure many people will be pondering about some easy quick last minute sides for their Thanksgiving meal!




The idea for this recipe is courtesy Ruchi Airen, a fellow food blogger, whose most recipes I like. She is a woman after my own heart! Her recipes are simple and easy to make. You can find the original recipe here. As usual, I have tweaked the recipe to my taste to make it creamier.

Servings: 4-6


Ingredients:


Spinach: one medium bunch.
Mushrooms: one 8 oz container ( you can choose Cremini or baby Bella; both taste good).
Onion: 1 small, chopped fine
Garlic: 2-3 cloves, minced
Butter: 1 tsp
Olive/ coconut oil: 1 tsp
Fresh parsley: 1 tbsp, chopped( optional)
Oregano: 1/2 tsp ( optional)
Salt: to taste
Black pepper: 1/4 tsp ( adjust as per individual spice level)
Milk: 1/2 cup
Corn flour: 1 tsp


Method:


Wash the spinach, steam it for 5-8 mins ; drain and keep aside.

Wash the mushrooms ,slice them into big slices, keep aside.

Dissolve the corn flour into the milk and keep aside.

Heat butter & oil in a sauté pan. Add the garlic, sauté for few seconds.

Add the chopped onions and sauté until it turns transparent.

Now add the sliced mushrooms; sauté for 3-4 mins.(Don't overcook the mushrooms as when cooked too much they tend to become very small and also leave a lot of water).

Add in the steamed spinach. Mix well.Add the salt, black pepper.

Add the milk-corn flour mixture to the pan. Simmer and let it cook until the sauce thickens. 

Add in the herbs, mix well.







Serve hot with rice/ bread/ pasta.

Here, in this picture I have tossed the creamy mushroom spinach with angel hair pasta and topped it chooped avocado, tomatoes and Parmesan cheese.



Cooking made easy:


You can use any fresh/ dried herbs into the above dish. While I like fresh herbs and prefer to use them, I also keep a mix of dried herbs like parsley, thyme, rosemary, oregano which I use to season my fish, in pastas and dishes such as above. These are herbs that I don't use that often and therefore would go bad if I bought them fresh.

Tip for healthy living:


Mushrooms are good for us as they are a great source of Selenium which has anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer and liver-detoxifying properties.Mushrooms are the only vegan source of vitamin D.It is also rich in vitamin B complex and minerals like phosphorus, iron, potassium and copper.It is also a great source of dietary fiber. it is rich in beta-glycans which have a role in anti-inflammation, reducing insulin resistance and reducing blood cholesterol levels.

Food for thought:


Life in abundance comes only through great love. Elbert Hubbard


No comments:

Post a Comment