Monday, October 20, 2014

Purple Cabbage Slaw with Chia seed dressing; Meatless Monday.





I am always on the lookout for including healthier food items into the everyday food for my family and me. I also try to make salads more interesting. Chia seeds is something I eat daily as part of my oatmeal. Recently on Dr. Oz I came across cabbage slaw using chia seed dressing. I tweaked the recipe a little and made purple cabbage slaw to go with my fish tacos! What a delicious meal I had. Everyone at home was happy! You can find the original recipe here. I am bringing this to Super Simple Tuesdays at Hun whats for dinner?




Servings: 4


Ingredients:


Shredded Purple cabbage: 2 cups
Shredded Carrot: 1/4 cup
Onion: 1 small, sliced lengthwise

For the dressing:


Chia seeds: 1 tsp
Honey: 1 tsp
Rice Vinegar:2 tsp
Lemon juice: 2 tsp
Olive oil: 2 tbsp
Garlic: 1 small clove, minced
Salt: to taste
Black pepper: 1/4 tsp

Method:


In a bowl take the shredded cabbage, carrot and the sliced onions. Keep aside.

In a small glass bottle take all the ingredients listed under " dressing". Keep aside for 30 minutes for the chia seeds to absorb the fluid. Shake the bottle well.




Add the dressing to the above bowl as per taste. I use a lot if it.Toss well.



Serve chilled as a side with chicken/ fish/ rice or with tacos!


Cooking made easy:


You could double the dressing ingredients and make a big batch and keep it in the fridge to be used as needed. It should last for at least 2 weeks in the refrigerator.

Tip for healthy living:

Chia seeds are a superfood that is extremely good for our health. They are rich in healthy omega-3 fatty acids, carbohydrates, protein, calcium, antioxidants and dietary fiber. Chia seeds therefore have heart-healthy, anti-inflammatory benefit. It not only helps with satiety, also helps keep the bowel regular.They are also easily digestible.


Food for thought:

Friendship is one mind in two bodies. Mencius

No comments:

Post a Comment