Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Tinker Bell Doll Cake






On public demand, I am posting this recipe for the Tinker Bell Doll Cake.I thought it was only apt to post this recipe soon after the Princess doll cake. I have been keeping all other recipes on hold until I post this one! Of course this cake was made two months after the first one. Life is so hectic between work and home and my little ones. Time just flies! Sometimes, I would have written the recipe on my notepad and have the pictures ready but days pass by before I get it transferred on to the blogger! I wish I could post onto the blogger from my iphone!! Life would be so much easier for me!




Anyways, coming back to the Tinker Bell cake, my best friend was having a Tinker Bell-themed  birthday party for her daughter who was turning six. The birthday was this pad weekend. She had requested me to make cake- pops and cupcakes for the party. I wanted to make a Tinker Bell cake for the birthday girl. When I looked up online, I came across a YouTube video for the same. You can find the link to the video here. I decided to surprise her with a Tinker Bell cake. This was my gift to the birthday princess!


Ever since I made my first princess doll cake, I have been intrigued with fondant. Before now I didn't know what fondant was! I saw that the decorating on a cake is much more versatile and realistic when you work with fondant. My problem was that I didn't know the first thing about fondants! I never could resist a challenge! I decided to learn about fondants and there began my research .... I learnt what fondant was, what gum paste was, when you use what, how to mix them, stick them, work with them... Phew! A whole lot of things! Fun things!

When I made the Tinker bell doll cake, this time, I ordered the actual Tinker-Bell doll and used the doll. I was also a little more brave and  layered the cake. I baked one 9 inch cake and one cake in the doll pan and layered it with vanilla frosting. I had to use the additional 9 inch cake because the doll was 13 inches tall!  When I started off with the cake I was not sure how it would turn up. I am happy to say that the end result was fantastic!

This is how I made the Tinker Bell cake:

Servings: 15-20


Ingredients:


For the cake:
Boxed cake mixes: 2( I used Pillsbury Devil's food )
Eggs: 6
Water: 2 cups
Oil: 1 cup ( I used canola oil)

For the buttercream icing:( to make 2 1/2 cups icing)
Confectioners  Sugar: 4 cups
Butter : 1 cup( at room temperature)
Vanilla essence: 1 1/2 tsp
Water: 2 tbsp

For decorating the doll:
Pastel Green ready to roll fondant: 1 box ( I used Wilton)
Electric Green ready to roll fondant : 1 box( I used Cake Boss)
Shortening: as needed to knead the fondant.
Corn flour: as needed to dust the work surface.
Green shimmer powder : 1 small box ( I used Wilton)
Water: 2 tbsp

Method:


For the cake:

Preheat the oven to 350 deg F.

Assemble the dome shaped cake pan as per instructions.Prepare the dome shaped cake pan & the 9 inch round pan by spraying non-stick spray. Keep it aside.


Prepare the cake batter as per instructions on the cake box.

Pour the cake batter into the dome- shaped cake pan until 2/3 full. Pour the rest of the batter into the 9 inch round pan.

Place the dome- shaped cake pan on the center rack of the oven and the round pan on the lower rack .Bake for 50 mins at 350 deg F.  Check the round pan. If the cake is done take the round pan out and let the cake cool.

At the end of 65 mins, check if the cake in the dome-shaped pan is done by inserting a skewer into the center of the cake. If done, the skewer will come out clean. If not done, bake for additional 5 mins and check again. Repeat this in 5 min intervals until the cake is done.

Remove the cake out of the oven and let it cool on the cooling rack for 15 mins.

Next, slice the dome shaped top and level the cake. If the round cake has a dome, level that too and let it cool on the cooling rack.

Remove the cake out of the pan and let it cool down for at least another hour on the cooling rack before icing.



The Icing:

When the cake is cooling prepare the icing. Take the butter and the vanilla essence in a bowl, whip it until soft peaks are seen.Now add sifted confectioners sugar little by little and mix until well combined. Add the water and mix well. Icing should be of medium consistency.

Preparing the doll:



Take off the doll's costume & shoes and wrap the doll in protective plastic wrap. Insert the doll into the cake until her waist. Remove the doll out and keep aside.

Preparing the cake:

Place a thin layer of icing on the center of the cake board .The icing will keep the cake in place and prevent it from moving. When cooled, invert the round cake onto the cake board. Layer it with 1 inch thick layer of icing of your choice. I used vanilla icing. Now place the dome- shaped cake on top of this.


Using a spatula, apply a 1 inch thick coating of icing around the cake. Keep it in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours or overnight.

The dress:

When the icing is set, prepare the fondant leaves. Take the electric green fondant and knead it using a little shortening until soft. Now apply cornstarch on the rolling surface and  roll the fondant into 1/8 inch thickness. Using the leaf cutter, cut large, medium and small leaves. Using the shaping foam and veining tool, make the veins on the leaves. Keep it aside to dry. Preferably overnight.



Putting the dress, doll and cake together:

Using a little  shortening knead the pastel green fondant until soft. I did it in small portions and  then combined it together. Again apply cornstarch on the work surface( I used roll and cut fondant mat) and roll the fondant to 17-18 inches circle.


When ready, take the cake outside the refrigerator and apply another thin layer of icing.

When done, using the rolling pin roll the fondant on to the rolling pin. Place the fondant on the cake and slowly and carefully unroll it.Smooth the fondant over the cake using your hands and / or fondant smoother. Cut off the excess fondant at the base using a paring knife.


From the excess pastel green fondant, using a heart-shape cookie cutter,cut out a heart shape for the Tinker-bell's bodice. Keep it aside.

Now stick the Tinker Bell doll into the cake until her waist. Fit the bodice on her torso. Place two small leaves on her breasts.

Apply little water with your finger onto the back of the fondant leaf and  stick the leaves on her dress starting from the hem up towards her waist. Start with the large leaves and  as you go closer to the waist use the medium and small leaves.

Mix 1 tsp lime green sparkle powder in 2 tsp water . With a paint brush pain each leaf individually.



Let the cake dry.

The cake is ready!





Enjoy!

Do try to make it. It is fun! Please do let me know and share the pictures with me :)



Cooking made easy:


The fondant can be tricky to work with. Knead fondant in portions with a little shortening until soft and no creases are seen. Promptly cover the unused fondant with plastic wrap or in a zip lock bag.

When you roll the fondant to cover a cake make sure you roll it 2 inches more than what is needed. If the cake is 10 inches in diameter it is a good idea to roll the fondant to 16 inches so you have enough to entirely cover the cake.

To stick the leaves to the doll, you can either use water or make edible glue by mixing 1 tsp gum paste bits in 2 tbsp water. Keep it aside for 1 hour. The gum paste will dissolve.

Instead of painting the leaves, you can also just sprinkle the shimmer powder over the dress.

This cake if refrigerated once the fondant is applied, will sweat. So just keep it in a cool place until ready to be used.

Tip for healthy living:


If you have dandruff  in your hair, one successful and easy way to get rid of it is by rubbing he scalp with fresh lemon juice. Leave it on for one hour and then wash your hair.


Food for thought:


We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone. Ronald Reagan

No comments:

Post a Comment