Friday, June 27, 2014

Mushroom Bruschetta




My favorite accompaniment to my evening tea is tea-rusk or toast. I love bruschetta. But not anymore. Not since I decided to avoid gluten. Interestingly, other day I came across and episode of Dr. Oz wherein there was a lady who was in a similar situation as me. She then suggested this amazing swap for toast in bruschetta. She swapped it with mushrooms!This caught my attention.I immediately filed it in my mind to try it. We always have mushrooms at home as both my husband and I love it! We use it in several different ways: with my salmon (most of the time), in noodles, fried rice, omelette etc. This was a novel use for my mushrooms. Earlier during the week I got a chance to try them and they tasted amazing! It was pretty quick and easy to make. Without further ado, let me share this amazing recipe with you.





Servings: 4 ( about 5 mushrooms each)


Ingredients:


Baby Bella mushrooms: 20, cleaned
Onion: 1 medium,chopped fine.
Garlic: 2-3 cloves, minced
Tomato: 1 medium, diced small
Vinegar: 1/2 tsp
Cilantro: 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Salt: 1/8 tsp
Black pepper powder: 1/4 tsp, freshly ground.
Olive oil: 1- 2 tbsp

Method:


Remove the stems of all the mushrooms and keep aside the mushroom caps.

Preheat the oven on broil.

In a bowl mix together chopped onion, tomato, garlic, cilantro, salt, pepper and vinegar.

Grease a baking sheet and keep ready.

Fill the mushroom caps with the above mixture and arrange them upside down on a baking sheet.

Lightly sprinkle/spray, olive oil on top.

Place the baking sheet in the broiler for 12-16 mins depending on your oven.

Serve immediately.




Enjoy! This plate tonight is going to Fiesta Friday!

Cooking made easy:


Quite often when we buy fresh herbs, we end up using only a small portion of it and the rest goes bad. We can solve this problem by taking out a portion of the herbs, wash them in cold water, air dry on paper towels. When the moisture has gone, chop them and store them in small Ziploc bags in the freezer. You can take out a small portion and use it as needed.

Tip for healthy living:

Mushrooms are highly nutrient-rich. They are a source of lean protein and fiber with no cholesterol and fat.Apart from several important nutrients like niacin, riboflavin, potassium and vitamin D, mushrooms are also rich in selenium which is an antioxidant. They are purported to have significant anti-carcinogenic properties due to the significant presence of beta-glycans and conjugated linoleic acid.

Food for thought:


High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation. Charles Kettering



No comments:

Post a Comment