Monday, May 5, 2014

Meatless Monday Easy Soy Tandoori Curry





I just realized that it has been a week since I posted anything on my blog! Last week was so hectic. My kitchen was transformed into a mini-bakery in preparation for my very good friend's daughter;s birthday! I baked 4 dozen cupcakes, 5 dozen cake-pops and a beautiful Tinker Bell doll cake.I am tired but happy that I made somebody else happy!

Anyways, I first came across the soy tandoori curry dish when one of the group members from CAL, Sonal Gupta posted it. Soy nuggets are a staple in my household and we use it mainly in vegetable pulao as it contributes to our daily protein intake and my husband and I both like the taste of soy. I have not been using it for much else. I was thrilled when I saw this recipe and I penned a note to myself at the back of my mind to try this recipe soon.. For the longest, I didn't get a chance. Then couple other members posted pictures of the tried recipe and were raving about it. This gave me a new impetus to try it. So over the weekend I decided to make it for dinner. Hubby wanted vegetable pulao, so I made mixed vegetable-soy  pulao and cucumber-corn salad to go with my soy tandoori curry.



Now here is the interesting part. There is a reason why I renamed the dish "easy soy tandoori curry". When I opened up Sonal's recipe on her blog and started reading the recipe,I gave it a cursory glance and realized I had to marinate the soy nuggets for couple of hours. I was doing several weekend chores that evening, so  I marinated the soy nuggets as per her recipe and kept it aside for two hours. But as I started putting together the final dish together, I realized I didn't have several of the ingredients that she has used in her dish. I didn't have the onion- tomato paste and when I read her link as to how to make it, I didn't have the patience or energy to do it. I also didn't have any bell peppers. I have  always been a firm believer of " making the best of what you have". I decided to improvise on the recipe and make do with what I have readily available in my kitchen. The end result was a quick, yummy delicious soy tandoori curry with equally delicious soy-vegetable pulao and cucumber-corn salad. Apart from the marination, it took me one hour to get all three dishes ready and at the table!

So lets take a look at my version of the soy tandoori curry. You can find the original recipe here.

Servings: 5


Ingredients:

Soy nuggets: 1 cup

For marinade:

Yogurt: 1/4 cup
Ginger garlic paste:1 tbsp
Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
Tandoori masala: 1 1/2 tsp ( I used MDH)
Salt: 1/2 tsp
Kasoori methi: 1/2 tsp

For the  curry:


Oil: 1 tbsp ( I used olive oil)
Onion: 1 medium, chopped into squares and separated
Ginger: 1 inch, cut julienne
Tomato: 1 cut into small squares.
Cumin seeds( jeera): 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder: 1/2 tsp
Garam masala: 1 tsp
Sping onion: 2 chopped
Kasoori methi: 1 tsp
Water : 1-2 cups
Salt : to taste


Method:


Marination:


Boil 1 quart water in a saucepan. Turn off the flame.Add this to the soy chunks with a little salt. Let it soak for 30 mins. After 30 mins, drain the soy chunks, squeeze with your hands and remove the excess water. Place it in another bowl  and add the ingredients under for  marinade. Keep it aside for 2 hours or overnight.

The curry:




In a skillet/ sauté pan, heat oil on medium heat,add cumin seeds. 

When they splutter add the chopped onions. When the onions start wilting, add the chopped ginger, sauté for a minute and then add the chopped tomatoes. Sauté until the tomatoes are a little wilted.

Add the chilli powder and garam masala.

Now add the soy with the marinade and let it come to a gentle boil. 

Add the kasoori methi, spring onions.

Garnish with fresh cilantro.


Serve hot with rice/ pulao/ bread/ roti.

Cooking made easy:


At a very early age, my mother told me that anything with the right amount of salt and spice will taste good. I have kept that firmly grounded in my mind. Always make do with what you have in your kitchen/ pantry. Don't be scared to experiment. It might taste a little different than the original dish, but who knows??? You might come up with something even better! Once you are at ease in your kitchen and are not afraid of failing, cooking is a breeze.. I always say.. You win some.. You lose some. But, you will never know if you have not tried!


Tip for healthy living:


Soy is a great source of protein. It is one of the few plant-based foods that is a complete protein. What that means is that it provides all the required amino acids. It also has the highest protein content among plant-based sources. Soy nuggets and soy granules prove to be a good substitute for meat and ground meat due to its meat-like texture. Hence, it is more readily acceptable to non- vegetarians.


Food for thought:


We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be. Kurt Vonnegut

No comments:

Post a Comment